Thursday, July 14, 2011

Work Dilemma

New guy - really, really annoying
Boss - doesn't like the new guy

I witnessed something today and am not sure how to handle it or if I should even bother.  I don't think there is anything I can do anyway, but the situation is still messed up.  I really can't stand this new sales guy but I try to be as civil as possible because I have to deal with him.  We are both in sales.  He has been coming to me explaining how frustrated he is because he is new and doesn't know a lot and is getting a lot of pressure from our manager to perform.  I am also hearing the same thing from our manager who is frustrated with him because he thinks he needs to be taking more initiative.  It seems I am always the middle man in these types of situations.  So I've been trying to help out and this week I have been giving the new guy a couple of pretty good leads on some new accounts.  This morning our manager had a meeting with him and pretty much told him that he wasn't doing a good job.  Then when the new guy came back and explained how he had 4 or 5 possible new accounts, my manager says, "Well how did you get those?"  Not wanting to get me involved, he said they were all call-ins to him.  He had even gone out and collected some samples and asked if they were any good. Our manager said, oh no, those aren't worth anything.  I know for a fact that material is worth money.  So, what I am getting from all of this is that my manager doesn't really like this guy and doesn't want to see him succeed, even though he is trying.  What do you do in a situation like that??  I feel horrible, but I honestly don't think there is anything I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment